AATU is a riverside pub crawl event organized in Turku every May since 1995.
AATU (officially Akateeminen Aurajokilaivuritutkinto) is all about appreciating the wonderful riverside in Turku and also about celebrating the beginning of the summer holidays. Compared to other student events, AATU has its very own, unique and relaxed atmosphere as the participants meet up with friends to enjoy the springtime with some drinks. Traditionally, the Rector of the University of Turku declares the summer holidays officially started at the beginning of the event. AATU is something every student in Turku should experience.
All restaurants that take part in the event are included in a special degree map that is handed out to each participant when you register on the day of the event. The degree map is in effect a map of the Turku riverside with participating restaurants clearly highlighted. Based on the amount of stamps collected from each restaurant you have visited, you earn a degree of either Matruusi (7), I Perämies (9) or Kapteeni (12). For the frequent river farers, there are also special degrees to strive for.
In 2018, AATU will be a two-day event for the very first time.
AATU is organized by the student organization Akateeminen Aurajokilaivuriyhdistys (shortly AAly) which is an independently registered sub-organization of the Student Union of the University of Turku. The organization was established in the autumn of 1995 and is run by a board of 3-6 members which are elected for a term of two years.
Ticket sale for AATU’18 starts on Sunday April 3 at 6 pm (18.00). Ticket price is 10 euros and tickets can be purchased on the website bailataan.fi and in restaurants Proffan Kellari and Three Beers. The two restaurants sell tickets during their opening hours until their quotas are full. The ticket price includes the special degree map (see above), a diploma ie a patch to match the level of the degree you have completed and an entrance to the after party in Börs Night Club and Storage. For the purpose of the event, the two venues will temporarily serve as one venue, which means you only need to stand in line once to get in and then you can move from one venue to the other without exiting the premises. Do bear in mind that there are a total of 3 entrances to the after party: Storage entrance on Aurakatu, Shamrock entrance on Eerikinkatu and Oscar Pub & Grill entrance on Kauppiaskatu.
On both days of the event, the festivities start at noon when the registration stands open by the river at restaurant Vaakahuoneen Paviljonki. The stands are open from 12 noon to 4 pm. After the official opening speeches at 2 pm the event kicks off and herds of students make their way to the participating restaurants. You have until 9 pm to collect stamps towards your degree. During the official hours 2-9 pm you are to visit any of the restaurants included in the degree map and enjoy a drink to collect a stamp towards your degree. When done, you should head to the after party to collect your degree patch that will also act as your degree diploma, and of course to enjoy the live music performances and party your socks off. The after party continues until 5 am when it’s finally time to go home or switch to a private location for another after party ;)
– There is a contest you can take part in before the event starts at 12.00-13.45 at the restaurant Vaakahuoneen Paviljonki. Just ask around for AATU-kisa (Finnish for AATU contest) near the registration stands at restaurant Vaakahuoneen Paviljonki and you have a chance to win great prizes. Taking part is free of charge.
– It is highly recommended to have cash on you on the day as there will be a lot of thirsty people around and card payments will take up precious study time.
– Remember that you can only collect stamps during the official hours: from 2 pm to 9 pm
– There are 3 entrances to the after party, check the other entrances around the corner to avoid unnecessary queuing
– If you have any additional questions or grievances, ask around and someone will help you find someone who can help. You can also reach the organizers at +358 44 961 9488.